Thread: What is CDN?

Default What is CDN?

I see the link on big sites when the page is loading.

Simple Answer:

CDN stands for Content Delivery Network. Its a hosting server that handles your heavy content, like videos.

Quote Originally Posted by donaldtrumpet View Post
    I see the link on big sites when the page is loading.
    some real hot shit!!

when you hit the internet you go through your ISP. from there you got to the internet to download stuff.

Big companies got server in all the ISP's "even one close to your house", and if you trying to reach a certain page they have it loaded up on that server already. so you don't have to go all the way to the internet to get it.

if you put your site on a CDN, it get's pushed out to 1,000's of server close to peoples homes, making it faster of them to download, and saving you time on your server.

You can get access to a free CDN through Google. it takes some time to set up, but if you got small file "under 50k" google will let you put like 20 of them "under 1mb" on the CDN to make your site faster.

When i say faster, i mean real faster.

If you got a page with 5 picture at 50k each, it would take like 2 second, on a CDN it could take like .2 seconds.

when your content is being access off the CDN it's like transferring something on your home network.

but it only work with static stuff that doesn't change. if stuff changes alot, the CDN won't do you any good. Also something the CDN will give users old content "like if you just updated something, but the CDN has old stuff".

for a small site it's not big deal, but once you start reaching 100,000 a day it help. it also protect against outages. if you server goes down, you got 1,000 of copies of you site all over the US "or the world"

If you site get's a ton of return visits looking into browser caching and extend the expires date, this is link the Best CDN there is. well it's not a CDN but it's the same principle.

Default Try this

Hey i use this http://cloudflare.com try it really simple, easy to use, and your sites will take off. Trust me. They help keep my bandwidth cost down too. Speed is a big deal with google. If your site is taking more than 4 seconds (really 2 or 3) a traditional cdn or cloudflare may be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyparra View Post
    Hey i use this Home | CloudFlare | The web performance & security company try it really simple, easy to use, and your sites will take off. Trust me. They help keep my bandwidth cost down too. Speed is a big deal with google. If your site is taking more than 4 seconds (really 2 or 3) a traditional cdn or cloudflare may be the answer.
    good lookin out.